Apple’s Quartz Composer makes it amazingly easy to create real-time graphics of all kinds: for screensavers, animations, kiosk art, film effects, Dashboard Widgets, graphically-rich apps, and more. But few content creators use QC, because they’ve had practically no useful help–until now. In this book/DVD bundle, two renowned VJs who’ve pushed this tool to the limit show you how to do it, too!
You needn’t be a technical expert: Graham Robinson and Surya Buchwald introduce each concept through a hands-on project, with videos demonstrating every step. They start extremely simple, offering beautiful visual feedback and encouraging you to freely explore. The video and text work together to help you build mastery fast, as you create everything from data-driven effects to compelling live performance visuals!
Mastering Quartz Composer’s powerful interface
- Grabbing live inputs from music or cameras for unique interaction and improvisation
- Outputting video files for everything from smartphone screens to HD video edits
- Using built-in image filters to add visual effects
- Creating organic motion with LFOs, interpolation, and trackballs
- Fixing problems and figuring out what you did wrong
- Making rain, fire, and other cool stuff with particles
- Integrating MIDI musical instruments and other audio resources
- Mastering lighting and timelines
- Building richer environments with replication, iteration, and 3D modeling
- Pushing the boundaries with secret patches, CoreImage filters, and GLSL
If you’re a motion graphics designer, filmmaker, VJ, artist, interactive programmer, Cocoa developer, or any other type of “Maker,” this book will guide you from acolyte to wizard in no time… and it just might be the most fun instructional you’ll ever read!
“Learning Quartz Composer” is a book Co-Authored by creator of I Love QC Graham Robinson. If you want to go deeper into creating your own visuals it offers lots of information and video tutorials for each chapter.
Accessing Video Tutorials
If you have already bought the book or an ebook version and are looking for the video files, they are all hosted and delivered by Pearson Education, the publisher and can be accessed via these instructions which should be present somewhere in your ebook too! The forums and other elements mentioned in the book have now been closed because there are a number of good QC groups on Facebook and other social media sites, so we recommend you join the QC community there, or drop us a line on our Facebook page: Fb.com/ilovequartzcomposer or via our support page.
Thanks for your support.